Friday, April 24, 2009

The Power of Words

Jessika over at Pretty in Plate posted today about 3 words that she feels are thrown around too casually in the WoW world. I agree with her, and I think it's worth a read. Go check it out.

Not only does casually tossing around a potentially offensive word reflect poorly on you, but it also has an impact on your guild (whose name, in case you've forgotten, is floating above your head). I'd rather not have one of my guildies being a jerk in trade channel because of the negative implications for the good people in our guild.

Moral of the story: be aware of what you're saying and be respectful. Even if you didn't mean it that way, it doesn't mean that someone wasn't hurt or offended by it.

2 comments:

koalabear said...

I can understand why people don't like the words, but they also need to take the context into the situation as well.

People who get offended at words when they aren't used in that particular context are a tad bit to sensitive IMHO.

Misneach said...

Context is always important when interpreting what people say. I just think it says something about someone's character when they throw words like that around.

I don't think they should be "banned" from the game or something extreme like that. I just wish people would think before they talk. They may not care how people view them, but they should at the very least consider the fact that their guildies may suffer from their inability to come up with more grown-up words to express themselves.